Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Really Special: Not just another Apple Pie










I love a warm slice of apple pie. It comforts the soul. So on a cold morning of January I decided to bake an Apple Pie. I thought of baking one pretty apple pie, so i thought of the Honey Comb crust design of Martha Stewart. Indeed the Honey Comb holes made my pie oh so pretty. 

In order to achieve that shiny caramelized golden brown crust, make an egg wash :one egg yolk, a teaspoon of full cream milk, and a pinch of cinnamon. Before baking, brush the crust with the egg wash then sprinkle brown sugar, after 30 minutes in oven repeat the process. After baking still hot from the oven brush and sprinkle again! TADA! Golden crust!

I used Gala Apples for this. If you like baking apple pie/apple crumble/apple turnover/anything apple you should know your apples. Here in the Philippines, we have few available.. We have Fuji (yes its the big ones striped yellow and red), Red Delicious (the deep red,medium in size,best looking ones, its the apple that Sleeping Beauty ate), Gala (smaller and rounder in shape than red delicious, looks like Fuji but way smaller, red and yellow in color), Granny Smith ( they are your green apples), Honey Crisp (looks like your gala apples but bigger and with hues of greeen), Mcintosh apples (it red and green and small), Jonagold (medium sized, red and green but more of green)... sometimes in big supermarkets we come acros golden delicious and some pink lady. I know apples because I read their names in groceries and read about them. I use Gala for my apple pie because they are crisp even after baking plus the tartness and the sweetness are just balanced. Fuji apple is too crispy even after baking, granny smith is too tart for me, red delicious tends to be mushy after baking. I recommend Gala or Granny Smith for baking but if you can find Jonagold then better!

I wish I can share to you the exact recipe for this Apple Pie but this is a product of guess and check. The recipe was adapted from Blue Ribbon Apple Pie  but tweaked most part of it. Will finalize it soon and share with everyone. 

So we may not always be winners but we’re not lazy. We take chances. We go for broke, swing for the fences and sometimes, yeah, we strike out. But sometimes you get a home run. LIKE THIS APPLE PIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment