Thursday, January 31, 2013

Book Review: Baking Secrets by Rudolf Vincent T. Manabat



Seldom you come across a book that is so cheap but so wonderfully written and the recipes inside are heaven sent. I have read about this thin book from a culinary magazine, I was intrigued, here in the Philippines its rare to have a bake book authored by a Filipino. COOLNESS i thought. The next time I went to a bookstore I looked for it, my heart sank its so THIN but I was compensated because it was displayed in the center table (it means NBS recommends it) and its cheap just Php125.  So I bought it.

When I started reading it I was so engrossed, that I finished the whole book just in an hour, it was so well written and 'entertaining' given that it was in book paper with no colorful photos to keep you glued.

I have already made the Moist Chocolate Cake and the Butter Cake it was a keeper. Truly a keeper. Im intrigued withe Dulce de Leche Cake, will try it soon. I have tried and tested a lot of recipe from cookbooks I already know by heart just by looking at the recipe if its good or its just another recipe book filler.  

Then this book has a Baker's Tips section where the author gave out useful tips on baking. 

If you are a Baking Beginner I really recommend this book, its reader friendly no technical terms involved here, just basic baking terms, the recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients are so simple that you can easily find them in the local supermarkets. If you are a Baking Pro I still recommend this book its a great addition to any baker's reference cabinet, from time to time one can really learn something from it, anyways the field of culinary arts is a continuous learning process. We can always learn from another baker and in this one I have learned a lot.

The author is quite young, Im sure he will be really be a big name someday in the pastry world. And im sure he will write more beautiful bake books maybe a bigger book. I really hope. Im a fan of his writing.

Buy!Buy!Buy this book! Its a one of those "Big Things comes in Small Packages". 


Excerpt:

I have included the recipe index in my photos to give you a background on whats inside this cookbook. I know how difficult it is to choose a cookbook without scanning the contents first. I have many disappointments  before... buying expensive cook book where the cover is so promising but the contents are not so feasible or a complete disaster. If only book stores will provide open book samples. SHEESH. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! Where can I get this book? I have family going home, I will ask them to buy this. Do you recommend anyother good baking or cookbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi i want to buy this book (baking secrets by Rudold Vincent Manabat) for my mom would you mind can you tell me any near store somewhere in Manila? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same experience here,when i saw this book which is so cheap,i bought it year 2012,i was looking for a moist chocolate cake recipe,i tried it
    When i try it,oh my why is it so runny,i still bake it,and it turned out perfect.
    I was so overwhelmed,i bought around 10 books,or maybe more,i just can't remember and gave to some of my friends and classmates,because that year i was studying Basic and Advance Baking at EARIST,some have tried it because i recommended them to try the moist chocolate,and they found same experience like me
    I'm so greatful with Chef RV,i have taken numerous classes with him and He is my favorite Chef ever

    ReplyDelete